The Garden Island is a beautiful destination with emerald colored valleys, rugged mountains, rainforests, rivers, waterfalls and sun-kissed sand beaches. Hawaii's northernmost island, Kauai is a place of dramatic beauty and endless adventures, from kayaking the Wailua River to hiking the trails of Kokee State Park to ziplining above the lush valleys. With its rich culture, timeless allure and laid-back towns, Kauai is the perfect place for a Hawaiian vacation. Here are some Kauai travel tips to help you plan your next escape to this verdant island paradise.
Top Things To Do In Kauai
Kayaking in Wailua River State Park
- Kayak the Coconut Coast on the tranquil Wailua River that weaves for 20 miles through the jungle and cascading waterfalls on the Kauai's East Side. See Mount Waialeale, Wailua Falls, and Fern Grotto, a natural lava rock cave.
Hiking to Opaekaa Falls
– Discover the 151-foot waterfall that cascades down into a hidden pool. Located two miles up Kuamoo Road, this is one of the island's most accessible major waterfalls. Enjoy amazing views of the Wailua River Valley from the scenic overlook or stop to enjoy a picnic.
Relaxing on Coconut Coast Beaches
– Kauai's east coast is home to some of Hawaii's most gorgeous beaches. Lounge on the shimmering white sands, surf the waves, swim in the ocean, or snorkel in the protected coves at Lydgate Beach Park, Kalapaki Beach and Kealia Beach.
Exploring Kokee State Park
– Across the island on Kaua's western shore, Kokee State Park is laced with 45 miles of hiking trails through high elevations, lush forest and wildflowers. Take in sweeping views of Waimea Canyon and the towering cliffs of the Na Pali Coast from the lookouts and visit the Kokee Natural History Museum.
- Take a boat ride along Kauai's breathtaking Na Pali Coast, darting in and out of sea caves and waterfalls and seeing the dramatic peaks and valleys. Then dive into the ocean to see tropical fish, giant sea turtles and Hawaiian Spinner dolphins. Lydgate Beach Park in Wailua, has two lava rock enclosed ocean pools that are perfect for new snorkelers.
Kauai Vacation Tips
Before you travel to Kauai, make sure you pack for the perfect Hawaii vacation. Here are some tips to ensure your vacation is everything you imagined.
Bring reef-safe sunscreen, sunglasses and brimmed hat
Pack comfortable shoes and clothes for hiking and sightseeing
Pack appropriate swimwear for surfing and snorkeling
Bring a light jacket or sweater for evenings and outdoor dining
Don't forget to pack your sense of adventure
Kauai Hotel Specials
Kauai Shores Hotel is an intimate beachfront resort on the Coconut Coast. This charming hotel offers lovely rooms with lanais, a beautiful beach, two outdoor pools, bike rentals, yoga classes and the Lava Lava Beach Club, an oceanfront restaurant serving fresh seafood and steaks. Book their latest sightseeing package with a daily free car rental to explore the beautiful Garden Island.