Home to two of the world's greatest mountains, one of the most active volcanoes in the world the Big Island of Hawaii is an island of epic proportions that fits in 11 of the earth's 13 climate zones. Sitting in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, Hawaii is approximately 4,050 square miles, and is still growing daily thanks to Kilauea Volcano on the eastern coast of the island. Because of its size, you'll never be able to see all of the fun attractions in one visit. So, take a look at the following Hawaii travel guide to enjoy some of the most popular things to do.
See an Active Volcano at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is made up of 333,000 acres and stretches from sea level to the summit of the earth's most massive volcano, Mauna Loa.
Take a Snorkel, Scuba Dive or Whale Watch Cruise
- Several companies make daily snorkel and scuba dive cruises (and whale watch cruises in season) along the South Kona Coast of the Big Island, leaving from Keauhou Bay.
Visit the Summit of Mauna Kea
- A trip to the summit of Mauna Kea is a long, and somewhat physically demanding adventure but one well worth the trip. The guides are very knowledgeable and are combination naturalists, geologists, and astronomers.
Explore the Waipi'o Valley
- Located along the Hamakua Coast on the northeast shore, the Waipi'o Valley is the largest of the seven valleys on the windward side of the Kohala Mountains. It is a mile wide at the coastline and nearly six miles deep. Along the coast is a beautiful black sand beach often used by movie production companies.
Visit Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park
- Located about 22 miles south of Kailua-Kona, Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park is a182-acre preserved site where up until the early 19th century, Hawaiians who broke one of the ancient laws against the gods could flee and avoid certain death.
While vacationing in Hawaii, enjoy your stay at one of our Hawaiian Hotels & Resorts offering beachfront rooms, coastal cottages, and suites in the heart of Lahaina town that are surrounded by many popular attractions and things to do in Hawaii. Book your stay at one of our hotels, and enjoy exclusive rates on packages for honeymoons, family vacations, weddings, and sports combos.